Published On: Wed, Oct 2nd, 2019

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry reunited in first appearance since legal announcement


The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are carrying out their first engagement together since last Wednesday, after Prince Harry travelled alone across Central Africa for almost a week. Harry and Meghan are visiting Johannesburg’s largest township to learn more about the local projects aiming to tackle youth unemployment. 

The Duchess wore a white dress with nude heels, and accessorised her outfit with a simple white beaded bracelet.

Prince Harry wore a blue jacket, a buttoned-up shirt without a tie and beige trousers, paired with dark beige shoes. 

After the visit, the Sussexes delivered a speech, with Harry saying: “This continent is going through a period of change.

“Africa needs to create 20 million jobs by 2025.

“And while youth unemployment is a global challenge, it is particularly a problem here, where nearly 57 percent of young people are unemployed.

“But you guys are producing solution, and for that, we commend you.”

Prince Harry then announced the UK is providing £8m for a programme aimed at “filling the gap” between skills needed by employers and the training offered to employees.

He later explained why he often refers to Africa as “my second home”. 

He said: “Over the past nine days I have been trying to put my feelings and experiences into words, which is not easy. 

“I wanted to try and answer a more specific question for myself, what is the essence of Africa. 

“Why is it that so many visitors feels that Africa gets under their skin and into their soul. 

“Last night I returned to my third visit to the fourth poorest country in the world, Malawi. 

“Despite extreme hardship, people are generous, they are strong, humble and incredibly optimistic. 

“There I have seen strength, resilience, and a sense of hope and empathy I can only aspire to.” 

Prince Harry then went on speaking about how Africa helped him through one of the most difficult periods of his life, after his mother’s death. 

“Ever since I came to this country as a young boy, trying to cope with something I could never possibly describe, Africa has helped me in an embrace that I will never forget, and I feel incredibly fortunate about that.

“And every time I come here, I know that I am not alone.”

The Duke and Duchess are on their last day of the tour to Africa started last Monday, September 23.

The pair have a packed schedule ahead, as they will meet later today Graça Machel, widow of legendary South African President Nelson Mandela, before attending a Creative Industries and Business Reception. 

Tonight, the pair will also meet the country’s president, Cyril Ramaphosa, before hopping on a flight back to the UK.

It is not clear whether Meghan and Harry will attend any of these engagements with their son Archie Harrison.

The little Sussex, born in May, made his debut on the tour last Wednesday, when he met Archbishop Desmond Tutu, one of the most important anti-apartheid figures in South Africa. 

READ MORE: How Meghan Markle planned royal tour around Baby Archie feeding times

Meghan and Harry’s first engagement of the day comes just hours after the Duke announced the Sussexes have started a rare legal action against the Mail on Sunday over allegedly misusing private information.

In a personal statement published online, Prince Harry said his wife has “become one of the latest victims of a British tabloid press”.

Prince Harry claimed “a ruthless campaign that has escalated over the past year” had been launched against his wife “throughout her pregnancy and while raising our newborn son”.

DON’T MISS 

He continued: “Up to now, we have been unable to correct the continual misrepresentations – something that these select media outlets have been aware of and have therefore exploited on a daily and sometimes hourly basis.”

Harry said he has been a “silent witness to her private suffering for too long”.

He continued: “There comes a point when the only thing to do is to stand up to this behaviour, because it destroys people and destroys lives.   

“Put simply, it is bullying, which scares and silences people.

“We all know this isn’t acceptable, at any level.

“We won’t and can’t believe in a world where there is no accountability for this.”

The case focuses on the publication of a handwritten message Meghan had sent her estranged father in August 2018.

The Duke of Sussex added: “The contents of a private letter were published unlawfully in an intentionally destructive manner to manipulate you, the reader, and further the divisive agenda of the media group in question. 



Source link

Videos

Most Popular Posts